Wednesday, April 2, 2008

I guess we should be happy?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=KdB5FcGh7Ks

So, I heard this on the radio (not my radio, my friend’s…) and before I could discern any real words being spoken (almost to the rhythm) I caught on to the roadrunner sound-blip. Then I deciphered the word Roadrunner and realized yes, he is actually singing about the Roadrunner… the Warner Brothers’ cartoon bird that is always escaping the Wily Coyote.

This is not something I expected from Kiss 108… (while I was listening to it… in my friend’s car.) Sex, drugs, fellatio, bling, and more sex… yes. But cartoons? When did cartoons become gangsta?

I played the song for my father and posed this same question, tailed by, “we should be happy it’s not about sex then right? Then it’s okay for the younger masses to overplay?” to which he responded with a raised brow and sly grin:
“Yeah… and yet somehow I still don’t feel socially redeemed.”


Has the rap community depleted its resources for covertly beating the censors and singing freely about sex and drugs? When I first heard Akon’s “Smack That” (by someone else’s request at a club) I remember being actually shocked (which was weird because I consider myself generally desensitized) and thought to myself “wow, they’re not even being coy and trying to blatantly hide the message…maybe this is the end, maybe the well of sex is try—or at least chafed” and now I hear this Roadrunner song…

Of course, I suppose Roadrunner may just be a metaphor for having sex while taking speed…

No comments: