Friday, May 9, 2008

Socks 4 Socklops

David Firth is a British animator whose series of animations, "Saladfingers," gained popularity back in 2004 and continues to grow today. He started out working with hand animation, but eventually started to use Flash to make his work. One of his lesser known films: "Socks 4 Socklops" really struck me as interesting in a sort of Postmodern way by the way that it takes fragments of stories and composes them in a manner that does not follow a pursuit of meaning. Take, for instance, the scene involving the French scientist. Everything the scientist creates turns out to be completely useless. I see his character very clearly as a jab at the useless nature of science.

I would like to warn those who are squeemish not to watch this film, as it contains animated violence and gore. Watch at your own risk, please.

Sock 4 Socklops


So, what I would like to hear opinions on this from whoever would like to contribute. Can this work be considered Postmodern, or does it fall under some other sort of category? I think it is a very difficult task to try and pin anything as being Postmodern or not, or maybe that's just me. Anyways, enjoy!

No comments: