Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Noticed a few things in the movie

A few things that caught my eye, or mind, whatever. I haven't thought them all through yet to their ends seeing as how we still have to watch the rest of the film.

1. We see Henry walking by a building that looks similar to the efficient housing of modernism. Perhaps there is some meaning about walking away from the unfeeling architecture. Maybe it is just another scene of a dude walking around.

2. Henry also heads into a tunnel/under a bridge (I'm not sure what it was) that looked like a large square tunnel/underpass thing. Not to say that architecture can't be square or boxlike unless it is influenced by modernism. Having the scene after the building that looked like housing left me trying to pull some connection. As does most of the film.

3. The lingering idea of neglect seems to pop up a lot. The man pulling levers seems very determined and harsh when pulling. They let out squeals that could be fixed with a bit of oil perhaps but it seems unlikely that they will be cared for. The mail slots or shelving unit that holds papers like mail slots appears dusty and covered in cobwebs. The older woman who does not move (grandmother?) seems neglected. Mary, the husband, the pups and of course "Spike." I guess it is just fine to leave the baby alone especially when it is sick.

4. Thinking of the baby as a product of Mary and Henry, I was trying to come up with what it would mean if the baby is not fully formed or is disfigured. It seems easy to jump to the idea that neither Henry nor Mary are fully formed individuals and any mixing of the two would not equal a whole. Like two people having the genes for some disorder would probably pass that on to any offspring. (I know it depends on the genes and the disorder) Or even thinking about it with mental illness. Having one mentally ill parent can have an influence on the child and two mentally ill parents makes it an even greater possibility that the child will also be mentally ill. I'm not saying that Mary and Henry are mentally ill. I'm not even going to try to go there with them.

So, yeah. That is all right now. These are clearly just a few things I had thought of. Nothing concrete.

Oh, something neat, I thought. Because of the darkness of the television and the darkness of the movie, some parts made it so the action was hidden and all I could see was the reflection of all of us watching the film. Sort of a cheesy "in the dark we find ourselves" kind of thing. It also tied to the idea of being kept in the dark, for me. I thought it was fun and kind of cool for something that wasn't intentional.

No comments: