Monday, February 25, 2008

Two points of view or one?

Upon completing Molloy the first thing that came to my mind was: is Moran perhaps actually Molloy? I thought for a while that might be a bit too M. Night Shyamalan of an ending, but the more I think of it, it makes sense.

The more Moran progresses in his journey, the more he becomes like Molloy- the legs, the lack of societal proprieties, the crawling, etc. The thought that struck me was what if Part Two takes place chronologically before Part One and after not finding Molloy he then regresses into the Molloy he had created in his head. This would explain the lack of Molloy’s past, and their similarities. If this is true, the writing Moran begins at the end of the book would bleed into the writing Molloy works on in Part One.

In this case, there is only one character in Molloy and we follow his progression from functional citizen to hobo in ditch.

1 comment:

Minotaur said...

OK, I know I said I'd stay off the blog, ha ha. But I just wanted you to know that you are not alone in interpreting Molloy in this manner. It's been said that in fact, the Moran section is chronologically first, and Molloy's second (just as you suggest). And yes, Molloy is a "failed" or "deconstructed" Moran, but they are basically one and the same person.