Thursday, February 28, 2008

Help me out here...

I had a horribly underdeveloped thought while writing a paper for Beat Lit.

I'd love to see if we can get a discussion going on it, disagreeing is fine, but I'd love to further this argument as well.

So here goes... right from the paper itself. (wank)

As I was reading Samuel Beckett’s Molloy recently, the narrator–Molloy–rambled on and on in a 124 page paragraph. I could begin to hear the Kerouac voice in Molloy’s. I was reading these books side by side and always believed On The Road was this wonderfully happy discovery narrative, but as I kept on with both books I found them both to be utterly similar with the narrators losing themselves in their attempts to discover who they were. Similarly however, both Molloy and Sal Paradise never really made any mention of actively seeking to find out who they were, but the "hero goes on a journey" theme is certainly there in both of them. By the time each of them reach an end, I feel that they are both exhausted and when Molloy finally cannot walk any longer and takes to crawling, I somehow feel that Sal Paradise reaches a similar end when he finally lets Dean Moriarty go. Two different vehicles of movement that they struggle to hold on to, Molloy and his two bad legs, and Paradise trying to keep up with an insane creature [Dean Moriarty] for as long as he possibly could.

No comments: