Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Linguistics and Their Uses

(I'm not tech-savvy enough to post an actual video)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hHQ2756cyD8

I am in love with Hugh Laurie. He’s my Old Man Crush.



Linguistic elasticity: Spoken and defined by the originators

Sustaining demagoguery:

If Hitler had been British…
Would hearing his passionately delivered speeches in a different tongue give them a tonality that detracts from their effectiveness?

------------------------------------------------------------

Is language a function of what it means to be part of a given culture? Or are qualities of the culture applied to it through the language?

Language v speech
Chess v game of chess

Philosophical ramblings: I can tell you anything I want to tell you and because I am prepared to defend my opinions with different dimensions of the mind, and of space or lack there of, and with absolute Truths v perception. I will win, or at least last longer and win by default. In any art form, the lesson lays in learning how to do it well before you’re allowed to experiment and play. Otherwise you’re Van Gogh who was a cheater.


So, based on this, Hitler would have had to find his own niche (not pronounced nietzsche) within the linguistics of the British language to have been as effective with their people as he was with his own.

-----------------------------------------------------------
More than a means of communication:

My checkout girl
Complimentary moist lemon square
Half forgotten book of erotic memoirs

No comments: